Rock painting ideas … we got them! Painting rocks is a huge trend … and super fun summer activity with the kids. I gathered over 50 clever and cute rock painting ideas to share with you in one place!! But what are people doing with all of these cool painted rocks? As someone who loves smart practical DIY projects I wanted to figure out some ways to use these really fun colorful rocks. Check out these stone painting ideas to see how you can actually get the most from your painted decorative rocks obsession.
This post contains affiliate links – when you click them and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission from the seller, at no extra cost to you.
If you've ever wondered what to paint on a rock, get ready for over 50 inspirational stone painting ideas.
Rock painting ideas for kids – Make Your Favorite Cartoon Characters
Can you imagine how happy the kids will be to have painted rocks of their favorite characters? Rock painting is a great craft to do with the kids.
Cartoon Character Painted Rock Ideas:
- Troll Painted Rocks – The Keeper of the Cheerios
- Muppet Painted Rocks – Sandy Toes and Popsicles
- Magic Disney Rocks – Staying Home Sawyer
- Minions Jail Craft Painted Rocks – Non Toy Gifts
Imaginary Character Painted Rock Ideas:
These ideas are great … but this has even more!!
Painted Rocks for the Kindness Rocks Project
Have you heard of The Kindness Rocks Project? It is taking the nation by storm! You can plan one in your neighborhood and brighten someone's day or use this idea as a scavenger hunt with the neighborhood kids. I love this children's story that explains how it works, through the eyes of a 7 year old girl who paints rocks.
Want to make these with your kids? Starting with this will make it easy peasy …
Photo Holders made from Painted Stones
A photo holder is a great gift idea. Have the kids paint a pretty rock and add their picture to it, then give it to that special someone as a great personalized gift!
How to make photo holders from painted rocks:
Jewelry Rock Painting Ideas
Why not? make painted rocks into fun custom jewelry. I can't get over how cute that strawberry ring is!
Jewelry ideas made with painted rocks:
DIY Painted Rock Paper Weights
Paperweights are a classic handmade idea that everyone could use. Perfect for parents to keep on their desk at work or home.
How to make paperweights with painted rocks:
Home Decor Rock Painting Ideas
Adding hand painted stones to potted plants really adds interest and a personal touch.
- Hand Painted Rocks – Make and Do Crew
- Fill A Vase With Painted Stones: Turn a plain glass vase into a treasured family memory jar with rocks from all your vacations over the years. Write the place, date and a special memory on the rock. Imagine looking back on these years later? Memory Jar – Love This Pic
- Make A Personalized Zen Garden: We could all use a little zen in our life. How about a personalized desk top zen garden? So cute for your work cubicle or home office. Etsy – Mini Zen Garden
Pebble Painting Ideas for the Garden
The little lady bug painted rocks look adorable in a garden path. They are simple enough that the kids could make these as well. How about drawing little critters on rocks to place in a walkway? Adorable!
- Ladybug Painted Rocks – Crafts By Amanda
- Garden Rocks In A Bag – The Craft Train
- Iconic VW – Fresh Design Pedia
Create Painted Rock Animals
Rock Animals are so popular and you are only limited by your imagination. From owls to mice-even your own koi pond!
- Owl Painted Rocks – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Rock Fish Pond – Make It Your Own
- Easy Painted Mouse – I Heart Crafty Things
- Cute Rock Fish Craft – Hello Wonderful
Line Up Painted Rocks On A Windowsill
If you work in an office you can line them up on the top of your cubicle. How about making one every year to celebrate your child's birthday? Date the rock and have one from each year. You can even paint the rock something that the child likes that year-like a favorite cartoon or animal. The Blues – Geninne's Art Blog
Collect And Paint Rocks From Your Favorite Vacation
This is another great vacation idea. Have each family member paint a rock with their favorite memory of that vacation. Vacation Memories Painted Rocks – B Inspired Mama
Painted Rock Ideas for kids: Games and Kids Activities
You can create tic-tac-toe pieces or make double sided memory games with rocks. Love the chess board idea! Keep the rocks in a cute little pot or box on your patio table for friends and family to play with during a barbecue. Another great way to use painted rocks with kids is to create puzzles, number and color rocks. Make learning fun!
- Tic Tac Toe Painted Rocks – Creations By Maria
- Chess With Painted Rocks – My Heart & My Home
- Giraffe Rock Puzzle -Hello Wonderful
- Teaching Shapes And Colors With Rocks – Fun-A-Day
- Train Rocks For Teaching Colors – Color Made Happy
- Etsy.com by TheLastBestPlaceBaby
Affirmation Stone Rock Painting Ideas
This is also another great gift idea. Paint rocks with inspirational messages or quotes and place them in a small wooden box or velvet bag.
Holiday Painted Rock Ideas
You can make painted rocks for different Holidays. Get the kids together on a weekend for a craft day. They will get a kick out of this. The addition of the googly eyes is so cute!
- Spooky Tic-Tac-Toe Halloween Painted Rocks – Smashed Peas and Carrots
- How To Paint A Santa Hat – Painting Rocks
- Melting Snowman Christmas Painted Rocks – Painting Rocks
Wall Art Rock Painting Ideas
A unique and colorful way to display your painted rocks is to create wall art. So many cool ideas!
- Fresh Decorating Ideas In Green – Fresh Design Pedia
- Homemade Wall Art – DIY Is Fun
- Pebble Art – Wild Whimsical Nature
Make a Painted Rock Fairy Garden
Fairy gardens are so popular and fairy gardens made out of painted rocks are just adorable!
Magnet Rock Painting Ideas
Use rare earth magnets to turn small painted rocks into really cute magnets. Add eyes for a 3-D effect!
- Rock Monster Pebbles – Coastalways (the blog is now gone but the tutorial way to paint the rocks, glue on googly eyes, and then add magnets to the back)
- Rock Magnets – Alisa Burke
Mosaic Rock Painting Ideas
We love the idea of using stones and sea glass to create a gorgeous stepping stone. You can also fill the back of a wood canvas tray or even do a table top with your painted rocks.
Cactus Painted Rock Ideas
A rock painted cactus plant makes a perfect gift and the best part is you never have to water it! Another great idea to place on your desk or even in a window.
Garden Marker Rock Painting Ideas
Painted rocks are a great idea to use in your herb garden to identify what you planted and are much prettier than the little tags that come with the plant. Rock garden markers also bring a nice pop of color to your garden!
There are many great painted rock ideas right? Which one is your favorite? I have to say I am partial to the painted fairy rock gardens! We hope you enjoyed these useful ideas for how to use painted rocks. If you have an idea that is not listed here, leave a comment and let me know what it is. I would love to hear it!
Pin this to SAVE for later!