Every birthday party these days seems to have cupcakes but most of the time. I see the kids eating only half a cupcake. When we were planning our Minions birthday party, we were trying to think of an alternative to cupcakes that would be fun and easy for kids to eat: Twinkies! I love the idea I've seen on Pinterest where a Twinkie is used to top a cupcake and it's made to look like a Minion. We decided to ditch the cupcake and go straight for Minion snacks made from Twinkies:
Katie dreamed these up and they actually go together really easily. The Twinkies, I mean Minions, sit inside of a little blue cup that is made to look like their overalls. The kids can later fill these with other snacks like trail mix and cheese puffs after they've eaten the Twinkie. You'll need the following supplies to create these Minion Twinkies:
- Twinkies (a box of 10)
- Black Licorice
- Tube of White Prosting
- Blue Mini Plastic Cups (Target)
- Blue Cardstock
- Tombow Adhesive Dots
- Small Knife
- Cutting Board
- Plastic Tips for Frosting Tube
How to make Minions Twinkies:
1. Unwrap all of the Twinkies.
2. Slice the licorice into 1/4″ thick slices that are round. If they are not round, roll them until they are round.
3. Attach the licorice piece to the Twinkie with a small amount of white frosting.
4. Apply a small amount of icing on top of the licorice piece to make the white of the eye.
5. Slice strips of black licorice to make the mouth and goggles strap for the Minion. Attach to the Twinkie with a small amount of frosting. Add a tiny piece of black licorice to the center of the eye.
6. Place the Minion Twinkie into the blue cup (overalls) and serve.
Here's how to make the “overalls” from paper and blue plastic cups:
I also created a stand for the Minions Twinkies, which I'll be sharing on the Smoothfoam blog next week. Until then, here is a little sneak peek:
Come back tomorrow for more recipes for Minion snacks and later in the week for the full reveal of our Minions Party! Pin the image below so you'll be able to easily find this post later when you host your own Minions themed party.
Thanks so much for stopping by today!!
Sinea Pies says
Just adorable! You are being featured on our next Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop — CONGRATS! Hope you can be with us. 🙂
Jennifer Priest says
Oh my gosh thank you so much!!
Jann Olson says
Ha, ha, these are just too cute! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.