Every year 99 Cents Only Stores knocks it out of the park with their amazing 4th of July patriotic decorations. If you love the look of patriotic swags then you are gonna love this DIY idea for decorating your mantel with a faux swag. And yes, most of the supplies for this patriotic wall decor cost under 99 cents each!
This post contains affiliate links; if you make a purchase from these links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Patriotic Decorations on a Budget
One year I priced out swags and I was shocked at how much they cost. Look, we're only gonna keep this decor up for just a few weeks per year. How can you get that 4th of July look you want without spending a ton? I'm gonna share my tips for decorating your mantel on the cheap for 4th of July and any holiday. Let's get started:
Fourth of July Decorations from 99 Cents Only
Can you believe this mantel decor cost under $15?! Here's how:
- Bows, 99 cents each at 99 Cents Only Stores
- Pack of flags, 99 cents at 99 Cents Only Stores
- Patriotic tablecloth, 99 cents at 99 Cents Only Stores (yes, I'll explain this!)
- Wood flag sign, 99 cents at 99 Cents Only Stores
- Pinwheels, 99 cents per pack (2) at 99 Cents Only Stores
I love making DIY party decor and holiday projects … but if you don’t have time to get crafty, you can get this and decorate crazy fast.
4th of July Patriotic flower pots
I'm not including the flower pots and flowers in my calculation because you can use flower pots you already have in order to keep the cost down; just add flags and pinwheels to make these look patriotic on your mantel. If you want to make these DIY patriotic terra cotta pots, you can pick up the terra cotta pots and saucers at 99 Cents Only for 99 cents each and then paint them in patriotic colors. Watch this video to see how to make them:
4th of July Mantel Decorations
Now, let's get back to decorating this mantel on a budget! This is what we started with:
While I love my remodeled fireplace mantel, this isn't going to make anyone excited for the 4th of July!
How to make a patriotic American flag swag
The base for this patriotic mantel decor design is a faux swag. Like I said before, I love the look of swags but they are crazy expensive. This affordable look starts with a 99 cent tablecloth. Yes, a tablecloth! You can do this same technique with any holiday tablecloth. And stores like 99 Cents Only have holiday tablecloths for every season. I can't wait to try this same faux swag technique for Halloween and Christmas.
How to make a swag with a tablecloth
- Open a plastic table cloth and unfold it.
- Spread the table cloth on a table.
- Fold the tablecloth width-wise in large pleats, about 5-6″ wide.
- Grip the pleated tablecloth in the middle and bunch together tightly.
- Twist a twist tie around the bunched middle of the tablecloth. The bows from 99 Cents Only have twist ties on them so you can twist a bow onto the tablecloth at the same time.
- Grip the pleated tablecloth at each end, about 12″ from the edge. Attach the bow or tighten with a twist tie.
- Attach the swag to the mantel with tape at the places where it is bunched (where the bows are).
- Fluff the swag and enjoy!
4th of July Party Decor
Put all of the patriotic decorations together to make a 4th of July party spread of a patriotic mantel display, like this:
To finish out the look, place extra flags and pinwheels in a mason jar filled with buttons or marbles.
Set a flag sign (also from 99 Cents Only) against the wall or hang it if there is nothing in the center of your mantel. Finally, add potted plants or fresh flowers to add a pop of color and fun. Easy peasy patriotic decorations, right?
What's your favorite way to decorate for the 4th of July?
Pin this project: