I received this product as part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Weave Made Media® and Farm Fresh To You, but all my opinions are my own. #weavemade #farmfreshtotable http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
The summer is a great time to cool off with a salad made with fresh produce! We're super excited to share with you our new favorite summer salad: Watermelon Basil Salad Xaver created this deliciously flavorful simple summer salad that is sure to “wow” at every barbecue. It's a little bit savory and a little bit sweet and a little tart, all at the same time. Plus, it's pretty, and who doesn't love a pretty salad?! To create this salad, we combined fresh, in-season produce from local farms, delivered to us by Farm Fresh To You. (I didn't even have to go to the store to make it!)
A few years ago we started getting deliveries from Farm Fresh to You, after hearing about them at a local craft fair. We loved receiving farm fresh deliveries without going to the Farmer's Market. But then Xaver's office moved and we were outside of the delivery area. Well, his office moved again and we are so excited to be back in the delivery zone! I don't even know where there's a farmer's market so I appreciate getting local fruits and vegetables that I can't find at the store, delivered. And since they deliver right to Xaver's office, I don't have to go to the store or anything, saving me loads of time with the grocery shopping. By utilizing Farm Fresh To You, we're keeping local farmers employed and will receive the freshest, in season fruits and vegetables to have in our home at all times!
The box pictured above is an actual shipment we received one week from Farm Fresh To You. Here's how it works:
- Customize Your Box – Choose your box size and delivery schedule depending on your family size and what you like to eat. For each box you can add items you want and remove those you don't.
- Flexible Delivery Options – There's no commitment, which I LOVE! You can change or suspend your service to fit your schedule or vacations.
- Connect with Your Farm – Each delivery comes packed with news from your farmer, recipes and produce info. Join Farm Fresh farm tours for harvest activities and more. I especially love the recipes and learning about special fruits we receive in the box, like the pluots we got in this delivery.
- Enjoy Eating Local – Farm Fresh To You brings the season's best mix of organic produce conveniently to your door by growing and partnering with farms in your area. I don't have time to visit farmer's markets or to drive to Pearblossom and visit the farms. I love that I can eat local, support local, and not have to drive all over California to do it.
I mean, just look at this amazing heirloom tomato that came in our Farm Fresh To You box! Beautiful!
Since Xaver struggles with eating leafy greens since a surgery he had two years ago, we don't eat much lettuce. The beauty of a Farm Fresh To You delivery is that we can choose the fruits and vegetables we can actually eat, each week, right on the website. I can't imagine missing eating salad but I guess if I couldn't eat salad, I'd miss it. That's why Xaver developed this delicious summer salad without lettuce, celebrating some of the best produce summer has to offer. Watermelon and heriloom tomatoes are the stars of the show in this bright flavorful salad – and we received both in our latest Farm Fresh To you delivery!
Follow the steps above to create the salad, using Xaver's tips for cutting cubes from a watermelon. Find a printable recipe below, that you can bookmark or print out and keep:Print
Watermelon Basil Salad
A refreshing salad with crisp watermelon and flavorful basil.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Small Watermelon, cubed
- 1 English Cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 3 Heirloom Tomatoes, cubed with seeds removed
- 1 Avocado, diced (optional)
- 5 Basil Leaves
- 8 Sprigs of Chives
- 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Dice the basil leaves and chives. Mix all vegetables and fruits together. Whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together until blended well to make a dressing. Drizzle the dressing on the fruit. Sprinkle a dash of seal salt over the salad. Serve chilled with a sprig of basil.
- Adding avocado will make the dish creamier.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 21
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: watermelon salad, watermelon, salad
What's your favorite summer fruit or vegetable? Leave a comment below!