Have you wondered if you can color stamped images with markers that are not alcohol-based? Waffle Flower and Tombow recently sent me some stamps and markers to play with and I am loving the results! Using a combination of the Tombow Blender Pen and Tombow's Dual Brush Pens, I was able to achieve dimensional coloring on this gorgeous succulent stamped image. By using the Blender, I was able to get a very light look to the leaves and cacti in this image, giving them a more realistic look.
Since Tombow Dual Brush Pens are water-based, they can blend with one another, with the Blender, and with water to change colors, make new shades, and achieve lighter hues than the original pen color. The secret to creating new shades and lighter shades is the Tombow Blending Palette. Here's how:
- Dual Brush Pen on Palette + Blender = Lighter color as your color onto paper with the Blender (tall skinny yellow cactus)
- Dual Brush Pen on Palette + Dual Brush Pen = Picks up the color on the Palette, blending with the Dual Brush Pen onto paper (short green cactus in front)
- Dual Brush Pen on Palette + Dual Brush Pen on Palette = Blended color. Pick up and blend the color with a third Dual Brush Pen OR a Blender (succulents in back)
To get the color onto the Palette, simply “color” it on, as if scribbling on a piece of paper. To get a rough look to the paper, keep coloring until the paper pills up onto itself. If you don't want the paper to pill, don't color as intensely and allow the paper to dry before adding more color.
Here's how I created this card (click HERE if the video does not play below):
For even more dimension, I stamped a second image, colored portions of it with the Tombow Dual Brush Pens, and then cut out the portions and mounted them to the card using Tombow Foam Tape. For the flag, I stamped a sentiment onto a scrap of white paper, colored it with a Tombow Dual Brush Pen for a little color, added Tombow Xtreme Adhesive to the back, and wrapped the strip around a toothpick to make a flag. I punched a hole in the card with a pair of scissors and slid the toothpick into the front of the card.
Here are all of the supplies needed to create this card:
- Tombow Dual Brush Pen N-00 Blender
- Tombow Dual Brush Pens, Assorted
- Tombow Blending Palette
- Tombow Foam Tape
- Tombow Xtreme Adhesive
- Waffle Flower Crafts “Potted” Stamp Set
- Acrylic Block
- ColorBox Archival Dye Ink, Wicked Black
- White Cardstock