In an effort to eat healthier, Xaver and I have been experimenting with italian style dishes, replacing the noodles with zucchini or other vegetables to create paleo-friendly, gluten free meals. This Zucchini Lasagna is great for kids and totally gluten free! You can replace the zucchini in this recipe with eggplant slices, mushroom slices, shredded carrots, use tomatoes alone, or use other vegetables that can be sliced.
The first time Xaver made this, we finished off the whole 9×12 Pyrex of it in one sitting. Good Lord we sound like total pigs! I forgive us because it is mostly vegetables with a tad of meat and a bit of cheese. We can be excused for that, right? I recently shared this recipe in a recipe swap where we all had to prepare our dishes to share in addition to swapping recipe cards. one mom of two toddlers told me that her kids LOVED it and has asked for seconds! Little do they know, they are getting a TON of veggies in this dish!
A delicious gluten-free, paleo-friendly recipe that kids love to eat!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 2-3 large Zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 15-20 Basil leaves, fresh, chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage or ground beef
- 6-8 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 4 TBSP of grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8-12 oz Pasta Sauce (canned or fresh)
- 1 container Ricotta Cheese
- 4 oz of grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Brown the Italian sausage or ground beef, adding garlic and onions to it. Drain and set aside. Use a mandolin to thinly slice zucchini. Blanche the zucchini slices, drain and pat dry with a towel. Layer the slices in a 9×12 pan as if they were lasagna noodles. Spread on a layer of ricotta cheese. Cover with a layer of sauce (homemade or store bought) and basil. Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes. Then sprinkle with crumbled Italian sausage or ground beef. Repeat to fill the pan. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until the cheese and sauce is bubbling.
- Replace the zucchini with other sliced vegetables, like eggplant or mushrooms, if desired.
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 724mg
- Fat: 22.4g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 21.6g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
Mmmm, it is so yummy! And, most vegetables! Now, off to work on crafty things…have a wonderful day!