Eating paleo when you're traveling or leading a busy lifestyle is challenging! Usually 1-2 ingredients, if not more, that are cooked into “healthy” menu options will make them unfriendly to paleo eaters. Salad dressing with soybean oil in it, chicken breasts with filler, french fries fried in cottonseed oil…
Disclosure: I received a free tasting meal in exchange for sharing about this product. Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are 100% my own.
Enter in Chick-fil-A's new grilled chicken options! I have always loved Chick-fil-A and found their salads a nice on-the-go option for sticking to paleo. The folks at Chick-fil-A wanted to add more health-conscious choices to their menu so they set to developing a new recipe for their grilled chicken. This new grilled chicken recipe replaces the chicken breast they previously used on their grilled chicken sandwiches – the fried versions remain unchanged.
In October 2013, Chick-fil-A stores in Southern California launched as the test market for the new grilled chicken. It was a winner, so last month, the grilled chicken was rolled out across all US Chick-fil-A locations.
Here's what makes the NEW Chick-fil-A grilled chicken recipe different:
- It's marinated in-store for a fresh taste
- The chicken is grilled on specially made, custom cast iron grills that mimic the taste and cooking function of an outdoor barbecue
- The grill lines on the chicken are real grill lines
- You can see the spices and herbs from the marinade on the chicken after it has been cooked
The grilled chicken can be ordered as nuggets in any of their meals, in a sandwich, or with a salad. This makes paleo eating really easy at Chick-fil-A! Here are some meal options we put together that we'd order:
- Protein-style Chick-fil-A NEW Grilled Chicken Club + Side Salad
- Protein-style Chick-fil-A NEW Grilled Chicken Sandwich + Side Salad
- Chick-fil-A NEW Grilled Nuggets + Side Salad + Fruit Cup
- Chick-fil-A NEW Grilled Market Salad (without the Harvest Nut Granola and Roasted Nut Blend) + Fruit Cup
I wrapped my chicken sandwich in lettuce to make it more paleo-friendly.
If you have allergies or gluten intolerance, find out more about the ingredients here: Chick-Fil-A Healthy Lifestyle website
A few decidedly not paleo (but delicious) highlights:
- A new Honey Barbecue sauce was added to the menu to compliment the grilled chicken. Again, this is not paleo, but it was delicious.
- Iced tea by the gallon is always yummy! You can get it unsweetened as well.
- Peach Milkshakes. I have a serious weakness for Chick-fil-A's shakes and love the seasonal ones, like Peach in the summer!
- The shakes were given to us in sample cups – I liked to call these “diet size”. Wouldn't it be cool if they offered this mini size?!
I hope you consider Chick-fil-A when you're on the go and need something healthy to eat!
Please note that we are not physicians or nutritionists and everything shared on this site is about our personal experiences and opinions. The views and opinions expressed here should not be considered medical advice. Please see your physician or a medical professional before embarking on any diet, nutrition plan, or other change in your eating habits.
About the Author
Jennifer Priest is a 20+ year designer in the arts & crafts industry and home DIYer with a passion for creativity. An Army veteran raised on a ranch, from her experience, she shares smart DIY projects that save money and fun craft ideas that anyone can make. Besides blogging, Jennifer is a Master Practitioner and Trainer of NLP, Hypnosis, and MER, and coaches other online entrepreneurs on money mindset, business, and living an intentional life. When not blogging, Jennifer is having adventures in the wilderness, on road trips, playing with her cats, and making paleo food.