So many people in my family ask for gift cards for gifts and I feel oh so lame handing them a flat, boring, obviously-a-gift-card envelope to open. There's a better way to have a gift giving experience and still get them that gift card they're itching for. That's why I rounded up these 12 creative ways to give gift cards … and they can even be used as creative ways to give cash gifts.
This post may contain affiliate links – if you click and buy we might get a kickback from the seller.
Check Out These 12 Creative Ways To Give Gift Cards:
1. Decorate A Cute Bag
We made this adorable altered paper bag for Matthew's teacher using stamps — it's flat but so much cuter than the lame tiny envelopes from Starbucks.
2. Ornament Gift Card Holder
Upcycle a jewelry gift box into an ornament that doubles as a gift card holder!
DON'T want to give the same boring gift cards this year? Give Adventure Gifts instead… click here to see how.
3. Turn Your Old Gift Cards Into A Gift
I made a mini scrapbook using old gift cards after seeing a similar book by my friend Nan Paturzo! You can fill it with scrapbook paper for a scrapbook, or fill it with notebook or printer paper to make a cool, purse-size notebook! See how to make a mini scrapbook from gift cards here.
You can also make DIY planner charms using old gift cards, like this DIY Starbucks Card Planner Charm.
4. Make A Folder To Hold The Gift Card
And then they can use it to hold business cards later! Here's how to make a gift card folder.
5. Give “Faux” Chocolates
Fill a chocolate box with cash, coins, and gift cards – they'll be happy with the cash even if you ate all the chocolates.
6. Hide The Gift Card In A Jar Of Candy
I love this idea! They think they're getting candy, which is awesome, but they're getting a gift card WRAPPED in candy! Pretty clever. Here's how to wrap a gift card in candy.
7. Give A Coffee Gift Card In Style
Starbucks, The Coffee Bean, Peet's … coffee gift cards are totally great to give, but they get kind of boring. How about make the gift card holder shaped like a coffee cup? I love this cute coffee cup gift card holder – wouldn't it be so sweet to receive as a gift?! *hint hint*
8. Use A Coffee Sleeve
Speaking of coffee, why not use a coffee sleeve to wrap a gift card? You could even decorate the sleeve to make it a gift in itself by wrapping it in fabric or felt, covering it in rhinestones, or even just painting a pretty pattern on it.
9. Make A Gift Card Holder With A Library Card Envelope
I know you have a big ole stash of these like I do. We HAD to have them when they were the trend in 2011?? Well, if you still have a stash of library card envelopes, then use them up by making them into gift card holders. This gift card holder is coffee themed but you can make it however you like.
Here's how to make it:
- Stephanie Barnard ColorBox Premium Dye Ink: Licorice and Spearmint
- ColorBox Fluid Chalk Ink Cat's Eye: Blackbird
- Top Boss Watermark Ink
- Smooch Spritz: Ginger Ale
- Rollagraph Jumbo Handle
- Rollagraph Jumbo Stamp Wheel: Simple Dots
- The Stamps of Life Clear Stamps & Dies, coffee4two and Coffee Die Set
- The Stamps of Life Clear Stamps – Created4You
- Rainbow Sampler Pack – 22 Colors in All (15 Yards of Each Color)
- Bazzill: Kraft, Coconut Swirl, and Bazzill Green Cardstock
- Tombow: Power Adhesive Tabs and Stamp Runner
- Rubber Stamp Concepts: Double Sided Tape
- Corner Rounder
- Westcott: Scissors and Craft Knife
- Fiskars: Border Punch and Titanium Paper Trimmer
- Starbuck's Coffee Sleeve
10. Put It In A Snowglobe
These gift cards in snowglobes are amazing and you can use your old pasta jars or even mason jars to make these – how cool is this?
Looking for SECRET SANTA gift ideas? Check out this post with 6+ DIY Secret Santa gift ideas under $20
11. Make A CARD-igan
Keep your gift card warm with this fun “cozy” gift card holder. You can hold business cards in it after you use the gift card!
12. Give It In A Wallet
Make a beautiful wallet (or buy one from a craft fair!) and add a gift card inside one of the pocket as a surprise bonus. A $20 bill in the billfold would be nice too.
Now, you just have to go out and buy a bunch of gift cards!!! Christmas, done.
Here are some more awesome blog posts you might like about giving gift cards creatively:
- 24 Cute and Clever Ways to Give Giftcards from Buzzfeed
- 12 DIY gift card holders from DIYcandy
- 15 Creative Gift Card Holders
- 10 Ways to Give Cash Gifts