This post is in partnership with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
Get ready to laugh, cry, and sing with SING! When we heard SING Special Edition is now available on Blu-ray & DVD, we started planning a family movie night. Movie nights can be simple but still fun and exciting. I'm all about easy but memorable experiences these days – we're all really busy, right?!
To get inspired for the movie night, I asked the kids to name their favorite character in SING; they both picked Ash! For our SING movie night, we knew the perfect way to celebrate: Ash themed snacks!
We started brainstorming ideas and I realized I'm more of a Gunter fan myself …
You know, “Piggie Power!” But I can see why the kids love Ash!
We created an Ash Punk Rock Pudding Pie that's easy to make and a fun departure from the typical movie popcorn and candy bars. We dressed up one of our tables to look like a stage and movie night was ready!
Here's how to put together a SING movie night that the whole family will enjoy!
Step One: Get SING Special Edition on Blu-ray
You totally need a movie to make a movie night!! If you haven't seen SING yet, check out this trailer to see why it's a Golden Globe nominee for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song:
From Illumination, the studio that brought you The Secret Life of Pets and the Despicable Me franchise, SING is a funny, heartwarming film with great music. The fantastic cast includes Academy Award® winners Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon plus over 65 hit songs every generation will love, including ‘Faith,’ a brand new song by the legendary Stevie Wonder (featuring Ariana Grande), marking his first song for a major film release in 25 years.
The SING Special Edition Blu-ray & DVD combo pack includes over 60-minutes of bonus content plus three all-new entertaining mini movies featuring the cast from SING and exclusive Tori Kelly music video! And let's not forget the loads of laughs your family will have from this adorable comedy film!
Pick up SING Special Edition is now available on Blu-ray & DVD at your local store while you're picking up all the snacks for movie night, including the ingredients for this Ash Punk Rock Pudding Pie. You'll need about two hours to make the pie and allow it to set up. So let's get started:
Step Two: Make the Pudding Pie
In SING, Scarlett Johansson plays Ash, a punk rock porcupine with a beautiful voice behind her prickly exterior. And she is the inspiration for our chocolate movie night pie recipe!
To make her face we decided to go with a basic chocolate pudding. To make her quills, we used pretzels sticks drizzled with milk chocolate and white chocolate. It's a delicious sweet and salty snack, perfect for movie night! Watch this video to see how this recipe comes together:
Ash Punk Rock Pudding Pie
- 1 frozen pie crust, baked
- 1 box of chocolate pudding (prepared according to box)
- 1/2 bag of pretzel sticks
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup of white chocolate candy melts
- 2 TBSP of candy dipping/thinning aid
- 2 candy eyeballs
- 1 can of black decorator's icing
- Bake the pie crust according to package instructions.
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the pudding.
- Pour the pudding into the pie crust. Smooth the top with a spatula. Place in the fridge to cool for at least one hour.
- Remove the pie from the fridge. Arrange pretzels around the top and sides of pie like porcupine quills.
- Put the milk chocolate and white chocolate into separate bowls.
- Separately, heat each bowl of chocolate in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Add 1 TBSP of candy dipping/thinning aid to each bowl. Stir.
- Continue to heat each bowl of chocolate at 15 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted completely.
- Carefully drizzle the melted milk chocolate onto the pretzels.
- Add the stripes on the quills by drizzling the melted white chocolate onto the pretzels.
- Tuck the candy eyes under the pudding slightly to form eyelids.
- Draw eye liner, eyebrows, and a mouth with black decorator icing.
- Add a nose with the black icing.
- Use toothpicks to smooth the design.
- Chill for another 30 minutes, then slice and serve.
Click HERE to get this FREE printable ASH PUNK ROCK PUDDING PIE recipe so you can make it tonight!
Step Three: Set the Stage
While you're waiting for the pie to set in the fridge, set up your SING movie night party spread! You can make movie night feel special and like a real night out at the movies for a lot less than you might think. Ash takes center stage on this movie night snack spread!
Here's what you'll need to pull off this movie night look:
- 2 yards of plaid fabric
- 2 yards of red fabric (or a plastic tablecloth from the party section of the store)
- push pins
- paper dessert plates
- snack cups
- wood tray
We pinned plaid fabric to the wall to make a backdrop and draped it on the table to form a table cloth. Gather the red fabric and tie ribbon around the fabric bundle about 18″ from each end. Pin the ribbon to the wall and allow the fabric to drape down in the middle and sides like a theater curtain. Lay a wood tray or cutting board upside down on the table to make a stage. Place the Ash Punk Rock Pudding Pie in the center of the “stage”!
Fill cups with snacks like popcorn and arrange them around the pie, on center stage. Use rolls of raffle tickets to prop items up, like the cover of the SING Special Edition Blu-ray & DVD.
Lay out flatware and cute dessert plates to finish setting the stage. Movie night for under $20!
Step Four: Watch and Laugh!
Once the stage is set, pop the SING Special Edition into the Blu-ray player and get ready for laughs!
Slice the Ash Punk Rock Pudding Pie and serve with a few pretzel pieces on top. The kids are gonna love this yummy snack while they watch!
Make this family movie night a hit with SING Special Edition, now available on Blu-ray & DVD!
Follow @singmovie on social media here:
Who's your favorite character from SING?