Cooler weather is here and the nights are getting chilly!! Sounds like a good time for some chile. Yeah, alot of people make chili, you know the one with beans and a tomato sauce base, but we have CHILE in our family!
We still have a few leftover tomatillos and peppers from our garden this summer and this recipe is a great way to use up the last of your summer vegetables. This was my garden earlier this year, before it literally exploded with vegetables!
You can freeze your vegetables and fruit harvested in the summer to use in winter. It always seems that a crop will explode over a two week period, producing so much that we can't eat it before it goes bad, so freezing is the next best thing. This recipe calls for canned green salsa but you can blanche and blend tomatillos in the summer and freeze the liquid in quart bags in the freezer. One quart size bag will work in this recipe to replace the 2 jars of green salsa.
This recipe also calls for potatoes and onions, great fall staples! You can make this recipe totally paleo or you can add side dishes of rice, beans, and corn tortillas for a more traditional Mexican meal. Add a dollop of sour cream on top if you like, scoop it with tortilla chips, or eat straight from the bowl. You can even use this pork and green chile as a filling in your tacos.
My mouth is watering just thinking about this dish! It's one of our favorites and so easy when the holidays get busy. Here is a printable version you can save to use when you need a hot, easy meal for your family!Print
Pork and Green Chile – Crock Pot
Delicious pork and green chile made in the slow cooker.
- 1 Pork Roast, 2-5 lbs
- 3–4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 3–4 Diced Green Chiles (if available)
- 2 Jars of Green Chile (Herdez glass jar)
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream and Fresh Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Place the roast in a slow cooker (Crock Pot). Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Add the garlic, potatoes, green chiles, and onions.
- Pour the jars of green chile on top of the roast. Fill one jar with water and pour that into the slow cooker as well to cover the meat and potatoes. Add more water if needed.
- Set the slow cooker to HIGH for 3-4 hours until the meat break apart with a fork.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and diced cilantro on top. Add corn tortillas, rice, and beads as side dishes if desired.
- You can also use this dish as a taco filling or to make nachos.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 3.6
- Sodium: 572.8
- Fat: 7.1
- Carbohydrates: 19.7
- Protein: 54.4
- Cholesterol: 140.5